Jacob asked me to repost this again
Because apparently I'm better at this prediction stuff than I thought. I wrote this up for his media site in the last week of December. I had to re-write around a dozen times because, just like when I speak, I have no filter when I write, some of it was too harsh and biased to publish to the masses I suppose:
Let's start this off with something very bittersweet for me to admit-- 2008 will be All Time Low's year. Why? Well let's look at it in a business way. What two things do you need for a band to really hit it big? Attractive members (check) and catchy songs (check). It blows my mind that not even a year ago I was watching this band open for Hit The Lights at Chain Reaction and now they're co-headlining the AP tour. They're stage presence is remminicant of Blink 182, which the older fans eat up, and the younger fans, well, they like to stare at Alex Gaskarth. So what will break the band through the mainstream? Their new single, "Dear Maria", of course. This song is catchy enough to catch everyone's attention. The way I see it? Dear Maria is to All Time Low as I'm Not Okay was to My Chemical Romance, as Sugar, We're Going Down was to Fall Out Boy. It's the single that will do the trick.
Second on my list, this is another band that's very bittersweet for me to admit, Cobra Starship. This band, in my eyes, will have a hard time making it to, what I like to call, "Fall Out Boy status" (you know, when you've got papparazzi following your frontman everywhere and all the kids on ap.net hate everything about you). They will, however, "make it" this year. Once again, let's go through the check list. Good looking members? Check. Catchy songs? Check. Personally, I believe the band deserves this, though their fame does make me nervous (that may just be the elitist inside me). The band seems to know how to stay well grounded and if you're not seeing them on their headliner this time around then you're definitely missing out. They wont be playing venues this small again, count on it.
Metro Station. That's it. Metro Station. Let me explain, if Hellogoodbye couldn't quite break into the mainstream, I say we take the same dance/pop/rock genre and sexy it up a bit. Where does that take us? Metro Station. It's the same fun, dance-y, techno type music, it's just that now instead of adorable lines like "all the lyrics that I wrote, not as smart as the words you spoke" and "you are what I'm looking for", we're looking at lines like "we're on the bed, but your clothes are laying right there" and "this'll be real fast, darling I know you need the cash". Teenage girls everywhere are already throwing themsevles at Trace Cyrus. Good looking members? Check. Catchy songs? Check.
This prediction, my last, makes me smile. Valencia, yes, Valencia. This has got to be their year just as much as it's All Time Low's. So what do I have in mind? Simple, while All Time Low is busy taking Boys Like Girls' spot in the world of the semi-mainstream. It'll be Valencia's turn to take on all the, for lack of better term, "indie fans". All I mean is they'll finally get around to touring again and get the recognition they deserve. Also, they'll finally get their butts back to Chain Reaction (I'm looking at you, Brendan. The one who's been telling me you'll be back "super soon" since the Let It Ride tour in early '07)
Speaking of the Let It Ride tour, I predict that Hit The Lights needs to get their shit back together really soon before I lose all hope.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home